Tuesday 17 December 2013

Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell


My Rating: 
Genre: YA, Coming of Age, Contemporary 
Publication Date: September 2013

Short Synopsis 
Cath and her twin sister Wren are huge Simon Snow fans, they do everything together, they even write fanfiction together. So when they're planing to go off to university naturally Cath assumes they will be sharing a dorm room together too, however Wren has other priorities. 


My Review
This is a coming of age novel about a young woman finding her feet and a way to stand on her own in a world where she's always had someone by her side. It's as much about Cather learning to trust herself as it is about her learning to let in someone who isn't her Dad or her sister. 

There are so many beautiful metaphors in this book and it's hard to talk about it without gushing. 

So many of us grew up in the Harry Potter fandom and I personally have gone through a phase of obsessively reading fanfiction. This book resonates with me so much because this phase in my life happened when I first started university. 

The book is peppered with funny nerd subculture references, some more obvious than others, as well as snippets of fake fanfiction which are themselves a bit satirical. 


It's an amazing book. It makes you feel good.  I don't know what else to say about it, except that you should read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment